Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wonderland Dress Sew-A-Long Part 1

Post Edit: 5/26/11 I made a mistake on the band that goes on the sleeve, I forgot that it should be twice as wide as the pattern. SOOO sorry, I hope you all have enough fabric to re cut.
I'm so happy you are all here for my first ever Sew-a-long.


For the first part of this sew-a-long you will be making your pattern.
you will need:
A shirt that fits your child
the main fabric
the contrast fabric
pattern making materials (paper, pen, disappearing ink marker for marking fabric, scissors)
pins or weights.

Just a few noted before we begin. When Making my daughters clothes, I always make it a little bigger than I think is needed, its easier to take it in than to add to it. Some of the skirt pieces will be to long and will need to be cut, but again its easier to do than adding. I'm making this to a 24 month size. you'll need to size up for other sizes, but hopefully you will understand how by my instructions. If anything is unclear please feel free to leave a message or email me (address on sidebar). I haven't done very many tutorials and this is my first sew-a-long. I'm self taught and don't always use the correct jargon so hopefully you understand me=) Also I always try on each piece after its done before attaching it to the next piece incase I need to modify it.

Ok Ready to begin? Awesome!

Step 1. Fold shirt in half and lay on paper. leave 1/2 inch margin around shirt.

step 2: Trace around the shirt, stick close to the neck line but leave a 1/2 inch margin around the body and arm hole. 

Step 3: create a 1/2 inch margin on the outside of the shirt. Mark the bottom of the bodice 3 inches from the bottom of the arm hole. (note if making a bigger size add 1 inch to the bodice for each size up. ie 4 inches for a 3t, 5 inches for a 4t etc)

Step 4: draw a straight line from one side to the other of the bodice. This will be both the front and back of the bodice.  
Step 5: Sorry no picture 2 inches from the neckline draw a straight line across the bodice (Again adding an inch for each size up) this will be the lining. 

Now the skirt

Step 6 Use your bodice pattern to figure out your skirt width. The bottom of my bodice was 6 3/4 inches. I added 3 3/4 inches to that and that became the top measurement for my skirt. (for larger skirts take the bodice measurement and half it then add that to the bodice measurement {more or less, I added the 3/4 because I hate dealing with fractions plus with a ruffled skirt top it doesn't matter if its a little big})
Step 7: for the skirt I drew a very slight angle down the page to get my skirt 9 inches. (for bigger sizes I recommend adding an extra inch, but play around with it because it will ultimately be up to you how long you want it,)

Picture of the pattern (one edge is angled slightly one end is flat. The flat end will be on the fold.) You don't want your angle to be to severe because you will be sewing the two angled edges together. 

Step 8: The bottom band is 5 inches wide and the same length as the skirt. you will cut two on the fold. This piece will be out of the main fabric. 

Step 9: the contrasting band. 1 inch wide same length as the skirt. If making a bigger one, I would only add 1/4 of an inch for every size up. the band is supposed to be small in comparison. 
This will also be cut on the fold x2

Step 10 the arms. This is what gave me the most trouble the first time, and I actually made 3 sets of sleeves before I found one I liked. Using the bodice pattern to trace the Arm hole, mark one inch from the top of the arm hole. Trace the arm hole and a straight line two inches down and two inches across from the bottom of the arm hole. then a straight line to the top. This will be cut on a fold and then ruffled, so it may look big but could end up small. I recommend trying this on your child after its cut out to see how much ruffling you need . 


Step 11: the contrasting arm band. 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch longer than the bottom of the sleeve. 
Post Edit: When you cut this it needs to be double the height. IE cut on two folds. 
Step 12 trace around bodice on fold and cut out your front bodice.


Step 13: trace and cut the lining on the fold. this will be for the front.

Step 14: Trace and cut the bodice (not on the fold) for the back

Step 15: Trace and cut the lining (not on the fold) for the back

Step 16: cut two of the skirt pattern on the fold. 

Step 17: Bottom band. Trace and cut 2 on the fold.

Step 18: The sleeve. Trace and cut 2 on the fold.

Step 19: Contrast band. Trace and cut 2 on the double fold
Post Edit: The height will be twice as high as the pattern. Sorry I forgot this when I was doing this the second time. 


Step 20: Ties (sorry I forgot to take a picture of making the pattern for these) They are 18 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide (add 2 inches of length  for each size up, I don't think its necessary to make them wider for larger sizes but you can)


Step 21: Trace and cut 2 arm bands on the fold


Thats it! your done making your patten and cutting the pieces for your Dress. Make sure if you are using a covered button you save a scrap of your contrast material for that. 
tomorrow we will do the bodice, including the elastic closure for the button, the covered button and the notch in the front of the neckline. 

Remember if you have any questions please feel free to let me know! 
See you all tomorrow for part 2!


Linked up to These Parties:

5 comments:

MAK TEH said...

hello theresa.can I join your sewalong?

Teresa Peschke said...

Of course! Join it!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Teresa, Adorable dress - great tutorial too. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase party – I greatly appreciate it. I hope you don’t mind that I have included this in today’s features. Hope you have a lovely holiday weekend ~ Stephanie Lynn

Unknown said...

great tute, this is where I want to be in a few years making my girls' dresses.

I'd love to have you come by my Make & Share craft hop at HOMEmomMADE.

Christine said...

This is so adorable! That is really such a sweet looking dress. Thanks for linking up with my Show and Share party.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin