Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer Fun With Kids: Make your own puzzle

I'm Super excited to have my Awesome friend Catherine here today to share this fun tutorial. I've known Catherine since before we were both married with kids and I just love her blog Cat on a Limb. She always has beautiful tutorials and yummy recipes to try. I'm really excited to try this tutorial out.


First off I'd like to thank Teresa for including me in this great series! I'm excited to see everyone's ideas, as I frequently need new ways to help keep my kids entertained and occupied throughout the entire year, but especially the summer.

My kids love puzzles and my 6 year-old son is getting rather good at them. However once they have built the puzzles a few dozen times they've usually lost interest in that particular picture. So instead of going out and buying new puzzles all the time, I've started making them. It's very easy and doesn't take much time.

I start out asking my kids what they want for a picture on the puzzle, then do an internet image search for that subject (and selecting "large" for the image size). I then print out the photo on a regular piece of printer paper. I usually print them to a full 8.5" x 11" size, but you can also print them smaller. Then I print a jigsaw puzzle outline on the back side of the photo (also found through image search). Or you can draw your own puzzle shapes.

Cat on a Limb-9933.jpg

I run it through my nifty little laminating machine and cut apart the pieces.

Cat on a Limb-9935.jpg

Then the kids go at it.

Cat on a Limb-9939.jpg

I also print out a smaller version of the photo and glue it to a small manila envelope for storage.

Cat on a Limb-9943.jpg

And there you have it! It doesn't take much effort, but keeps the kiddos busy for a while. My kind of project. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin